Steven – Goal Def. – Watch all AFI 100 Years 100 Movies
Watch all films on the American Film Institute’s 100 years, 100 movies.
The American Film Institute is an independent non-profit that was established in 1967. They describe themselves with the sentence:
“AFI is a national institute providing leadership in the recognition and celebration of excellence in the art of film, television and digital media.”[1. http://www.afi.com/about/whatis.aspx]
This goal is incredibly straightforward… to watch all of the films that were put on the “AFI 100 YEARS…100 MOVIES” list.
The rules for this goal are straightforward, but I am being strict about them.
- All films must be watched in one sitting (no stopping & starting or watching in chunks)
- All films must be watched in their original format (or as close to original format as I can possibly find). This does not mean watching on film, but that colorized black & white films or George Lucas-esque updated films or recuts do not count. This also means that films originally shown in widescreen must be watched in widescreen.
- Films that are or have been watched on television do not count as editing and formatting often take place for time, space, and content constraints.
- For a film to count I must have seen it within the last 10 years. I know this one sounds odd, but 10 years ago I was only 15. I definitely didn’t have the taste, eye, or for that matter ear for film critique that I have today so counting a film that I watched in my childhood just doesn’t seem right to me.
- I must watch all 100 films from the “AFI’s 100 YEARS…100 MOVIES
10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION” as well as any films from the original “AFI’s 100 YEARS…100 MOVIES” that were stricken from the list for the anniversary update. This brings the total film count to 122.
I consider every 5 films I am able to cross off the list to be a checkpoint for this goal.
I would really like to have this complete by the time that the wedding comes around. This means that I have roughly a year to get this done.
I thoroughly love films. Ever since I was young I have enjoyed the moments that I can be sitting in a theater or in front of a TV and watching films. For some (possibly most) these are moments of entertainment, a time for possibly turning your brain off and letting yourself be swept up in the story and images. For me this has, for almost as far back as I can remember, been a love of the critical watching of films. This may be because of my having studied and been involved with theater (and some film) in high school and college, or possibly for some other not yet known reason. What I do know is that I love to read about, discuss, critique, and all around enjoy films, whether it’s from the directing, acting performances, editing, soundtracks… you name it. Ever since I was shown this list by my brother when it first came out I have wanted to watch all of these films, the best of the best that Hollywood has to offer.
My AFI list with updated progress can be found here:
The 2007 “AFI 100 YEARS… 100 MOVIES” list can be found here:
- Steve Fekete
- May 18, 2011
- 5 Comment